Salooncab… Arise from your grave… Or other birthing zone.

Construction continues. A lot of the little things that take time away from PLAYING GAMES but need to be done so that the cabinet doesn’t look like it was built by a caveman. Ok it’s still going to look like an ogre built it but at least it’ll look like the ogre had a few tools.

Routed some flares* into the speaker cutouts, for, uh, better acoustics. Cutout a square hole for the sole fan in the cabinet (this could come back to haunt me, but believe me SPACE IS TIGHT) and also cut out some hinge mortises* so the control panel can swing open and close flush. Or at least as flush as possible.

*I’m going to be throwing around lots of terms that are likely incorrect, but there are pictures so I’m sure nobody is reading all of these words anyway.


Prepped some dowel pins so I could attempt a dry fit and finally get this bird in the air. It’s remarkable to finally see it standing. Remarkable in that I’m glad it’s looking as cool as I’d hoped, and also remarkable in that there’s a LOT less usable internal space than I’d planned on. Most of that is attributed to my lack of measuring all the electronic parts I’d be using, and a lot is also because I kind of kind the side pieces freehand which resulted in a smaller internal volume than I’d modelled in Sketchup.

Sketchup by the way, is a really cool free 3D CAD-type program that you can use to design projects before you build.

I built a really crappy rack to house the hard drives, but I’m sadly realizing that this rack is WAY too large to fit inside the cab. Wasted effort here. 

I cannibalized some old Logitech 2.1 computer speakers I had lying around. I’m hoping to use the speakers and amp from this in a slimmed down form.


I have no plans for orientation or internal layout, so it’s mainly trial and error. I don’t know yet how much stuff I’m going to try and cram in here. I do know however, that any dreams I had about installing a separate video card are now quashed. NO chance of installing any PCI card unless I try one of those ebay right-angle PCI adaptors.


I pretty much bamf’d my first attempt at the control panel, so I had to cut a second one. I drilled the button holes too close together and separated some of the MDF, so that piece would’ve been too weak to withstand the constant button mashing that’s required to beat Turtles or X-Men. I also routed out too much space for the joystick, leaving me to with inadequate room to screw in the inserts to mount the joystick.

I went ahead and cut the slot in the new panel for the tinted acrylic to slide in and rest in front of the monitor. I probably should’ve done this AFTER I cut out the button holes, just in case I bamf it again but what’s the fun in that.


It’s time to make this thing permanent! Or at least semi-permanent. It’s usually aroud this point in a build where I really start second guessing everything and it gets really hard for me to make any progress. Any step that requires irreversible changes makes me super anxious. The only thing I can do is just bite it and move on. In some cases this causes me to make a mistake because I sometimes blindly proceed, but usually it’s just the bump I need to get the rest of the project moving.


Brads nailed in to help seal the glue (which really might not do much on MDF). Spackled over the holes. Spackling is garbage by the way, I don’t know why I bothered.

Also one of the steps I probably forgot to mention earlier, you can see I cut slots in the sides for the t-molding that will be applied at the end. One of those finishing touches that is required on all arcade cabinets.

I spent a little more time on the control panel this time, measuring actual button width, and the additional width I’d need to LEDs and LED wiring. I used the top plate from my trusty TE stick for accurate button layout.

More time come… someday.

Tags:  , ,